Saturday, April 23, 2005

Leach Flip-Flops on Social Security

I’m loath to use such a well worn cliché, but is Jim Leach flip-flopping on the Social Security debate? I first became concerned about our supposedly moderate congressman’s position on the issue after his February 4th appearance on Iowa Press. Leach said “going to individual accounts, is probably long-term more rational for the system.” Worried by this “nuanced” position I sent him a letter asking for clarification. Leach graciously responded in a letter of his own, stating categorically “I do not favor privatization of the system.” You can imagine my confusion when I saw Leach standing behind the President in his recent trip to Cedar Rapids stumping for his scheme to privatize Social Security.

Being a centrist doesn’t mean straddling both sides the issue. When it comes to the single greatest program our government has ever created I expect our leaders in Congress to take a firm stand.

You can play word games all you want by calling them private, individual, or personal accounts. A rose by any other name still does nothing to solve the long term fiscal problems facing social security. If Leach can’t fight for Social Security, I know another foreign policy wonk, Prof. David Loebsack, who will.